Years 7-9 Curriculum Information
How to support your son at home
We know that parents are keen for their son to excel at school and would like to be able to support them in any way they can. The Year 7, 8 and 9 Curriculum Information Document contains information you will find useful.
It is designed to give you an overview of the information that you need to support your son throughout Years 7, 8 and 9.
To help you do this, we have included the following:
· Year 7, 8 and 9 Curriculum Map – this gives an overview of the topics that your son will study in each subject
· STEPs criteria – this provides an overview of the assessment criteria that is used to assess your son’s progress throughout Years 7-11
· How to support your son from home – suggestions from our Curriculum Areas about how you can support your son
· Keywords and Subject Specific vocabulary – a list of keywords and subject vocabulary you can help your son learn
A crucial part of your son’s success at Forest Hill is parental involvement and engagement with the curriculum, so please talk to him about the subjects he is studying, encourage him to do the activities suggested at home and test his understanding of the different key words and key skills through the year.
Click on the links below:
At Forest Hill we tailor every boy's curriculum offer to suit his needs. We organise the groupings for different curriculum areas slightly differently, depending on the needs of the curriculum.
In English, the creative subjects, DT, Computer Science and Citizenship and PSHEE we believe that students learn best in mixed ability groupings and so the students are taught in their tutor groups. In Maths, and later on PE, we set the boys so that they can learn and be challenged by boys of similar abilities. In the EBACC subjects of MFL, History, Geography and Science the boys are streamed into one of three types of group according to their ability and need for support, with each being tailored accordingly. We believe this provides the best possible curriculum offer for our students.
Year 7 Support
Students who come into Year 7 below the expected standard at KS2 are given a range of support to ensure they make rapid progress. This support includes:
1. The Explorer Curriculum – students are taught in a small group for MFL, History, Geography and Science and are taught in intensive short term projects focusing on one area to help the boys make excellent progress. The curriculum includes a heavy focus on literacy and numeracy.
2. Small group interventions in English and Maths – students are taught in small groups for English and Maths to ensure that they are given the correct support.
3. Library lessons intervention – the weekly library lesson is an excellent opportunity to target students who need extra support with reading.