Message from Head of Department
I am proud to say that our students are highly motivated in dance and experience a wide variety of dance from around the world at Key Stage 3.
At Key Stage 4, we are one of the few boys’ schools (11-16) in the country to run GCSE Dance. We offer A level Dance for Key Stage 5 in conjunction with Sydenham School.
We work with large-scale institutions such as The Royal Ballet School, English National Ballet and the Royal Albert Hall and smaller scale individual dance artists and dance companies. We have a close partnership with the Laban Centre for Dance in Deptford that enables us to offer further dance development for our students.
“It can be a huge force for good, effectively drawing people together and leveling everyone through sheer hard work. It can speed up your heart rate, it can enliven your being, it can change your life”.
Richard Alston (Choreographer) CBE
"Dance, of all arts, is THE one
that most influences the soul." - Plato
The Dance Curriculum
The curriculum is designed to:
· Engage students in a wide range of dance
· Nurture individual confidence
· Nurture sensitivity to others
· Provide a means of personal and social
· Make provision for SEN, G&T and EAL
· Develop social skills
· Develop self-discipline and personal
· Develop abilities to solve problems
· Develop individual and group identity
· Develop independent life-long learners
· Develop trust and understanding of others
Three strands of study are the basis of the curriculum design and each unit includes aspects of each:
1. Performance - applying and adapting a wide range of skills and techniques effectively in performing dance.
2. Composition - applying and adapting a wide range of skills and techniques effectively in composing dance, including the ability to improve and creating dances for a range of purposes and in response to different stimuli.
3. Appreciation - developing the ability to analyse, evaluate and appreciate dance and appreciate the contribution of dance to personal and social health, fitness and wellbeing and be aware of the range of opportunities and pathways available in dance.
For more information on the course on offer please click on the following links
KS3 KS4 KS5
Extra curricular dance provision and regular theatre visits are fundamental to our success. We offer opportunities for students from all year groups to participate in activities outside of the curriculum offer in our Dance Studio.
Students from KS3 and KS4 perform at the Lewisham Schools' Dance Showcase held at the Broadway Theatre every year.